Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Gumdrop Wreath

A few weeks ago I saw this online and really wanted to buy two of them to hang in the girls rooms for Christmas but thought it was a little expensive.  



 found here

I figured I could probably make them myself for a lot cheaper!

So I headed of to Michael's and bought the 1 foam ring at $4.00 and then headed to Walmart to grab 3 bags of Gumdrops at $1.00 each.  

I only bought the materials for one Gumdrop wreath because I wanted to see how it turned out before I stocked up on supplies.

I already had the glue gun and glue at home so I set up this morning while the girls watched 'The Little Mermaid' and got to work.  

Now after about an hour of work & a few burnt fingertips, it is almost done.

I just have to spray it with a sealant.




The only thing I am going to change is the foam ring, they have one that is a little more round which I think will look better next time around.

I also have to buy a different ribbon as well, all I had on hand was the pink so it works for now.  






So instead of $35.00 plus $11.00 for shipping,

I spent $7.00 for the foam ring and the Gumdrops.

I think making my own was a much better idea and I really like the way it looks.





It is so cute and colorful  and a perfect decoration for the girl's rooms!

6 comments:

Kacey said...

That is such a cool idea! You are one patient woman. It looks great!

{the vintage wren} said...

Love it, it turned out great. Do you think an 11 and 9 year old would be able to do this project? Maybe if we used toothpicks instead of a glue gun. What a fun project. Adding it to the holiday list. Hugs-Carrie

tara said...

Looks so cute Shannon...love that you made it yourself and saved all that mula~ happy thanksgiving!!

Martha said...

Oh Shannon...I love this idea and thank you thank you for sharing...my girls would loooove this too...is it okay if I use your idea?

Hope you have a terrific, terrific Thanksgiving
xo

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Oooh, what a cute idea! Love it!

Cozy Home Scenes said...

I've seen the gumdrop trees where you put them on toothpicks so they are edible, but never a wreath like this. It is very cute and festive, so it's easy to see why your girls will love them in their rooms. Thanks for sharing your creation!