Monday, December 17, 2012

The Christmas Express






On Saturday night we surprised the girls with a fun  new tradition we will be doing every year at Christmastime.
I got the idea on pinterest of course and could not wait to do it with our girls.
Earlier in the day we made sure to watch 'The Polar Express' to get them ready for the little surprise that they had no idea was going to happen.




While they were doing their usual ritual of baths and watching one cartoon before bed I snuck in their rooms and propped up their ticket on their pillow.
I printed the tickets earlier in the day from here




As they got ready to climb in their beds they noticed their ticket right away and both had no clue what it was for.
Daddy explained to Kayla that it was a ticket for a special trip around town to check out all the Christmas lights.
Kayla was immediately excited and asked over and over again if it was for "tonight?, right now?"




After she finally got that we were going right away she ran in to tell Brooklyn all about it




They were both so excited!





They were instructed to put on their slippers and bring their tickets.
Just like on 'The Polar Express' I made sure to hole punch their tickets before they got in the car.




Once they got to the car they had milk, m&m's, a cozy blanket and their Santa hats waiting for them.




We spent an hour in the car driving around town listening to Christmas Carols and ooohhhing and ahhhing over all the beautifully decorated homes.
It was so much fun and something so easy to do.
It's definitely something we can all look forward to year after year!








11 comments:

Colleen said...

this is so freaking adorable shannon!! love it! how did you print the tickets?

Kelli said...

I saw this idea on Pinterest as well. I bet Juliana would love this...Next year for sure! I so wish Nicolas and Isabella were younger.
We watched the Polar Express on Friday night. Such a great movie.

Kristin @ Yellow Bliss Road said...

What a sweet idea. I've been wanting to do this with my little ones and I think we will do it this weekend!

Sheri said...

How awesome - you are such a good momma :)

Theresa said...

I love it! How did I miss this on Pintrest? My 3 grandkids are coming for Christmas and I am soooo going to do this! So adorable!

{cindy} said...

shannon this is just the sweetest thing ever!! we drive around and look at lights a lot but this makes it all the more special!!
thanks for sharing this idea!:)
have a happy night

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

I love this! What a great idea. It is so fun to surprise them, isn't it? I love seeing their smiling faces.

~Shanon

Valerie@chateaualamode.typepad.com said...

That is the cutest thing ever! I love how you captured it so beautifully with your photos! You're a good mommy!

jenclair said...

What a great tradition to begin! Love your pictures of the girls!

Linda said...

Congratulations, Shannon! You get the Mom-of-the-Year Award! Lol What beautiful childhood memories you are creating for your darling girls. I just LOVE it!
Happy Holidays to you and your awesome family,
Linda at Beautiful Ideas

maureen said...

What a magical night that must of been for those sweet girls! My girls are now in their early twenties, but still love to check out the lights about town!