Monday, June 1, 2020

Memorial Day Weekend

There was no camping this Memorial Day Weekend or baseball games to enjoy but we still made sure we had a fun time together as a family.


There are very few places open for camping in California right now and the spots we tried were booked solid so staying home it was.   Memorial Day weekend always feels sort of like the kick off to Summer to me so we tried to spend most of the weekend outdoors doing fun stuff.  On Friday night the girls were jumping on the trampoline and Kayla came over and asked if I had something fun like a craft they could do outside together.   I have a box up in our closet full of activities that I keep stocked for moments like this so I told her to go take a look.  They came back with a crystal mining set and spent the evening chipping away to find their crystals.



It kept them happily busy until dinnertime.



We ate meatball sandwiches and salads and then they showered up to finish the night watching some favorite shows.



Saturday we headed over to Palm Springs to swim at my father in laws.  This was our fourth weekend in a row swimming over there and the girls now have a new best friend that adores hanging out with them every weekend.



Sunday morning Chris baked us all some chocolate chip muffins for breakfast and we settled in for a day at home.


I put together a fun little snack/lunch spread for us to enjoy out on the patio and we then we spent the remainder of the day outside.



We ended the day with s'mores around the campfire.




Monday was Memorial Day and we had a whole lot of nothing planned for again for the day.


I made quick and easy pudding parfaits for dessert and then a yummy blue cheese pull apart bread for us to eat for lunch.



It was a lot warmer on Monday so we spent the day indoors, Kayla did some reading


while Brooklyn and daddy played Legos 


Once it cooled off the girls were out on the trampoline being goofballs.  I asked for a picture and after several tries I finally got one.  They were laughing too hard at each as usual to be still.




Bratwurst, tater tots, baked beans and fruit were for dinner followed by pudding parfaits for dessert





Followed by more playing outside before calling it a weekend.  Usually I'd say how we couldn't wait until school was out but this year has been so off that it almost feels like not much will change once Summer is here.   All of our plans for Summer are still on hold since camping is still shut down and we're not sure what we can plan or can't.   I'm off to try and write out our Summer Fun List and hoping whatever we already have set we will be able to do.  Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Tara said...

I have no doubt that you'll come up with a super fun summer list! You created such a fun weekend for your family - and oh the food!!!! It all looks so amazing! Love all of the smiles too!

Billie Jo said...

Shannon.
I know I say this a lot, but I absolutely love how you and your family spend time together, and how much love there is!
Your girls are the best of friends, and that isn't all that common.
I also love to see what delicious food you are serving!
Have a cozy evening, and stay safe.
Oh, wondering what Kayla is reading??

Cindy said...

For us, planning is half the fun! I know your summer list will be filled with fun! Looks like you had a great weekend!

16 blessings'mom said...

It's going to be a strange summer, isn't it? But, at our house, our kids have bonded more and I have no doubt they'll remember this whole thing with fondness. We have to reach deeper to be creative to make things fun, too. And you have that nice pool to visit! Well, and the relatives too, ha. Camping looks bleak for us, but we did manage to reserve a cabin in the Adirondacks for a week in July, which is amazing. It's usually booked solid, someone cancelled. Your girls are so sweet, they remind me of my two youngest.:)
Della