Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Orange Brownies


Sunday evening we celebrated Palm Sunday at my in laws and we were in charge of bringing a dessert.
While searching my pinterest boards for a yummy dessert I clicked on some brownies I had pinned.
They sounded perfect for a Springtime dessert.





Brooklyn was eager to be my little helper, she helped me mix, pour and measure while Kayla on the other hand wanted to continue coloring.
Although she was right there when I needed someone to "clean the beaters" ;)


The brownies came out so delicious, everybody liked them and they are the perfect dessert for the warmer weather we have been having.


Orange Brownies

(recipe found here)


1 1/2 cup flour
2 c sugar
1 t salt
2 sticks butter- softened
4 eggs
2 t pure orange extract
1 t orange zest

Glaze:

1 c confectioner's sugar
2 T freshly squeezed orange juice*
1 t orange zest

Preheat oven to 350*

Grease a 9x13 pan, set aside. In a mixing bowl stir together flour, sugar, and salt. Add butter, eggs, orange extract, and zest. Beat until well blended. Pour batter into prepare pan and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and set. 

Remove from oven and pierce entire cake with a fork. 

Prepare the Glaze:

Combine the confectioner's sugar, orange juice, and zest in a small bowl. Stir until smooth. Pour glaze over brownies.

Let brownies cool completely before cutting into squares. 

*zest the orange before juicing for best results.



The girls had a great time up at their grandparents, they got to play with all their cousins and stay up way past their bedtime!


They also did a good job picking oranges for their Noni!




4 comments:

Kelli said...

Oh Shannon these look wonderful. My grandmother had a great lemon and orange tree that the kids loved to pick fruit from.
I am going to give this brownies a try. Are they sweet?

Kiri said...

I love making those brownies! Your little helper is adorable with her little ballerina bun ;)

WhiteWhispers2u said...

These look delicious! Never heard of orange brownies myself.

I would so love to have my own Orange tree though :) fun for the kids.

Colleen said...

Sound so good! Send some of that sunshine here please!