Thursday, August 9, 2018

Back to School

The girls are two days in and all is good so far.   We are already super busy and the heat the last two days has been crazy!   On the first day it was so humid and gross out we all felt like we had just gotten out of the shower the moment we stepped outside.   Today the humidity is down a bit and it's a tiny bit cooler so that is good.   Tuesday night both girls were beyond excited to be going back to school.  Kayla has been excited all Summer for middle school and after Brooklyn met her teacher Tuesday night for Back to School night she couldn't wait either.   I will say her teacher sounds like she will be awesome this year so I'm happy she'll have fun!


After we read our favorite back to school books and the girls were tucked into bed I set up some fun coloring items and their first day signs.


We were all up bright and early at 6am Wednesday morning and by the time I had finished showering and gotten ready the girls had already gotten dressed, made their beds and eaten breakfast!


They had lots of extra time to color and play around before we had to leave.






 

Ready for 6th grade!




Ready for 3rd grade!




One last picture together before I say goodbye to my girls for the day.


This year they are at two different schools and their start time is only a 10 minute difference.  Brooklyn starts first and then Kayla but I purposely took Kayla to school first on this day because I knew I needed a distraction to keep me from being too sad and walking Brooklyn up to school would be the perfect distraction.   I could barely talk to the girls because my voice was cracking on the drive up to Kayla's school and once I saw all of the kids on that campus I was done.   I pulled up to drop her off and she was soooooooooo excited and happy just look,



I had that lump in my heart and just prayed she would have a great day!


She turned and waved right before she walked across and I watched her all the way until I couldn't see her anymore.  I just can't believe she's already in middle school.


I pulled myself together and I drove to Brooklyn's school, we got there just in time for her to line up with her class.  Here she is with some of her buddies.



Off to her classroom.


 One last goodbye to mommy.


 Hubby called me as soon as I got in the truck to make sure I was okay and after that I went home cleaned up a bit and then headed to the grocery store.   While I was at the store I got the message that my online training videos were available to watch so as soon as I came home I started those which kept my mind off of the girls for just about the entire time they were gone.


 I only got teary eyed when I received this picture of Brooklyn from her teacher letting me know she was having a great day. 


 When it was time for pick up I was happy to have some new magazines along with a few text messages from friends making sure I was getting by okay now that I have a middle schooler.  Those helped keep me busy while I waited in two pick up lines.   I left the house at 1:45 and didn't get back home until 3:30!  I'm pretty sure this might be worse than waking up early this year.   We are going to be rushed all week long especially since the girls have soccer practice Tuesday through Friday.  


I set out some goodies for the girls for when they got home and then while they enjoyed their candy we talked about their days.


Brooklyn had a wonderful time and loved her first day back.  Kayla said that it was sooooo boring!  She was upset that they didn't learn anything and would not actually be starting the teaching part until Monday.  This week is basically just about teaching them the rules and what is expected of them in middle school.  I told them to show me how they felt about their first day of school below and this is what I got,


 After getting school stuff taken care of and put away we ate a quick dinner and then we were off to Kayla's practice.


Brooklyn kept herself entertained by making a fort and I did my best to keep my eyes open.   The girls were in bed right after showers and I called it a night by 9!   We were all exhausted, thank goodness tomorrow is already Friday.  It's going to take awhile to get back in the swing of things for us.



3 comments:

Tara said...

You are such a sweet mama with the goodies after school and the coloring before school! I love the picture of the girls holding their signs up above their heads... so cute! I'm glad the first few days went well. Hoping for a great year for your girls in 6th and 3rd! And that lump and tears in your eyes, we're a few weeks away from that here too with Abigail going off to middle school! Hope you have a lovely weekend Shannon!

Kelli said...

Cute pictures! Nicolas and Juliana go back on Monday and I am not ready.
Hope you have a great weekend

Billie Jo said...

Happy new school year to your awesome girls!
Your Kayla is going to rock middle school!
And your baby is as sweet as can be for her first day of 3rd grade.
You are the best mommy ever. : )